I have felt so much love throughout the last 5 days. Our kids have felt so much love. Our parents have felt to much love. Our siblings and their families have felt so much love.
Funerals are a bitter sweet time. Bitter as you face the reality of your loved ones death, but sweet as you are surrounded, embraced and upheld from the love of so many people.
Thank you for your love. Thank you for your love.
I wanted to share the talk I gave at Jake's funeral in Phoenix. I knew that I could only give it once, and even that was nothing short of a miracle. I was honored to speak about him and grateful for the Lord who sustained me through it.
Here is what I said:
What a sight. I am humbled to
see so many people who love, admire and remember Jake. Thank you for being
here.
I want to begin by expressing
our sincere thanks to each one of you. You, as family and friends have walked a
hard road with us these last two years, but have never shied away or forsaken
us. We have felt God’s love through you a thousand times over.
I can’t tell you how many
times Jake prayed for you. In every prayer he offered he asked Heavenly Father
to bless all those who are praying for him, with their needs and in their
extremity. I hope you have felt of our Father’s and our Savior’s love. There is
no way for us to repay what you have done, but one thought did occur to us last
month. On tables at the doors before you leave there are copies of The Book ofMormon: Another testament of Jesus Christ. Inside we’ve placed a picture of our
family along with this scripture from second Nephi, “But behold, the Lord hath
redeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his glory, and I am encircled about
eternally in the arms of his love.” We would love for each individual or family
present to take a copy home with you.
I am grateful to stand here
today to speak to you about Jake. As the one who knows him best, we both felt
that if I could manage it I should speak and so I pray for the sustaining power
of the Holy Ghost.
Luke chapter 2 verse 52 is
the only verse of scripture that speaks about the Savior’s life from the time
that he was 12 years old until he started his mortal ministry at 30. To
describe the intervening 18 years there is only one verse and it reads, “And Jesus
increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.”
Jesus Increased. In Wisdom. In Stature. In Favor with God. In Favor with man.
While on Jake’s mission to
Madrid, Spain, Harriet Uchtdorf, wife of apostle Dieter F. Uchtdorf spoke about
this scripture as a guide for living life. Her talk profoundly influenced Jake.
From this scripture he
developed what he always called the “balancing wheel”- a tool for developing himself
in four important aspects of life. The first is wisdom or intellectual, educational
and career pursuits. The second is stature or physical fitness, nutrition, and
caring for his body. The third is favor with man or developing and fostering
relationships with and serving family, friends, and those around him. The fourth is favor with God or spiritual
development, obedience to the commandments and nurturing his faith. Jake called
these categories intellectual, physical, social and spiritual.
He used the balancing wheel
to set goals from his mission on and taught it to me from the earliest days of
our marriage. About monthly, sometimes more, sometimes less Jake and I would
sit down and do the balancing wheel. He would get out a blank piece of paper, trace
a mixing bowl so he could draw a perfect circle, and then divide the circle
into four sections. He would write one of these categories in each quarter
segment along with two or three bullet points for each of us. You can see one
of his individual handwritten graphs on the inside of your program.
We would then spend some time
talking about how we felt we were doing in each category. These were some of my
favorite discussions with him. We would assess ourselves intellectually,
physically, socially and spiritually and make a few goals for improvement.
Sometimes it required shifting focus from one category to another. Sometimes it
required a conscious investment of time in a specific goal. But mostly it was
just a way for us to gauge if we were progressing and to get back on track. I
can say that Jake never rubbed my face in my shortcomings or gave me
suggestions for improvement. He was ever supporting me, encouraging me and
giving me the benefit of the doubt. He is so kind.
Then Jake would usually tape
the paper to our bathroom mirror or keep it on his nightstand so that we could
remember our goals. These were simple things that we could accomplish that
month. As you can see in the graphic from 2010, Jake set physical goals to go
to sleep by 10:30 pm, exercise a half hour a day, and maybe try his Dad’s low
carb diet. He set social goals to take me out on a date and to do something
with our friends the Gardiners. He set intellectual goals to record his time
every day at work, not look at the internet at work, and read a book at night.
And he set spiritual goals to do something each day for his calling (a church
service opportunity) in the Elders Quorum and “dive” into the scriptures for 30
minutes daily.
Most of you probably never
knew that Jake used the balancing wheel to guide his life in this way, but you
probably saw the fruits of his consistent efforts at self-improvement and
growth. I know that I did. In fact, it was often in times when things felt off
and life was stressful that Jake would pull out a blank sheet of paper and
suggest that we revisit the balancing wheel. He used this exercise to center
himself, to find his focus, to live a Christ-like life.
I know that many of you were
here ten months ago when Jake and I stood at this pulpit to give a fireside
about the lessons we’d learned since his diagnosis. If you remember, Jake said
and I quote,
“I’d
like to share some things that I’ve learned in four areas that have become
critically important to me. They are (1) caring for your physical body, (2)
preparing financially, (3) maintaining a support network, and (4) finding
strength in God. I hope that these lessons will help everyone here, no matter
what stage of life you are in to think about your priorities.” End quote.
These four areas were not new
to Jake. They are the balancing wheel- increasing in wisdom, stature, and in favor
with God and man that he had put into practice years before. But their
importance was intensely magnified when he knew that he only had a short time
to live.
The message of Jake’s life
was not defined by his cancer, but it was refined, honed, and focused by his
disease. He knew what was most important in life. Jake learned that the
scripture in Luke is not just talking about the Savior. It is talking about us.
How are we using our time, our daily breath, to become like Him? Are we
increasing?
I witness that Jesus is our
perfect example. He did not come to earth knowing everything. He had to learn.
He had to experience. He had to grow. He had to increase. So did Jake. And so
do we.
I testify of the reality of
the risen Christ. I know that He lives. I know it. I know that Jake continues
to exist. I feel his calming presence and strength. His thoughts have flooded
my mind this week. I witness that, as
Amulek taught in the Book of Mormon, one day Jake’s “mortal body [will be]
raised to an immortal body, that is from death…unto life, that [he] can die no
more; [his] spirit uniting with [his] body, never to be divided; thus the whole
becoming spiritual and immortal, that [he] can no more see corruption.”
I always told Jake that if I
had known all along that this was our future, I still would have married him.
Nothing has brought me more joy than being his wife and having Lauren, Ellie,
Ada and Tommy together. And there is nothing I want more than to be his
companion forever, bound through the sealing covenants we made in the temple. I
am profoundly grateful for my husband who taught me how to live like Jesus. And
I hope to spend all of my days increasing until I become like them.
In the name of Jesus Christ,
Amen.


25 comments:
Thank you for sharing. We mourn with you and are so grateful we will soon have you as a neighbor. We drove down your future street last night, and there was a wonderful spirit there. It will be a great place for your family, and I like to think Jake will enjoy seeing campus and Y Mountain every time he checks in on you.
I can't imagine how hard it was for you to talk but I am grateful that you did. Your gratitude for others, testimony of the Savior, and love for Jake was portrayed beautifully in your talk. It was awesome to hear about the balancing wheel, something I think I should use in my life. I love you so much Jord and am grateful that you gave me the opportunity to speak about Jake as well. I love and miss him very much. (Baby Shark do do do do do do...)
Thank you Jordan for posting this as I was only able to attend the service in Utah and missed your talk. I was so completely moved and touched by the amazing outpouring of love present at the memorial. It was amazing precisely because of what an exceptional man Jake was here on Earth and continues to be on the other side. He touched us all with his goodness and love during his life and he made a profound impact on my life and I am sure so many others and he always inspired me to be more the man I should be. We love you and your family.
Thank you for putting this on here. I felt so sad that I had missed hearing you speak so this was the next best thing. I am so in awe that anyone would be composed enough to at their husbands funeral. You are amazing. I'm sure you feel like it was because of the strength that you received through everyone's prayers for you. I'm sure that's true. I'm so grateful that I was able to attend yesterday and feel of the wonderful spirit that was there and to learn more about Jake. I have the program on my dresser because I want to be reminded of how I felt and the things I pondered in my heart that I can do better at in my own life because of Jake's example. Thank you for sharing what you've gone through these last two years. I feel like I am a better person because of how you and Jake handled this trial in your life. I Love you so much and can't wait to see more of you when you move to Utah.
Thanks Jordan. I love Jacob. I love you. I love Lauren. I love ADA. I love Tommy. I love the Lord.
Thanks Jordan. I love Jacob. I love you. I love Lauren. I love Ada. I love Tommy. I love the Lord.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I was very touched that while we were praying for Jacob that he was praying for our well being. I believe in the power of prayer. Our prayers are now for you and your children and your extended family.
This was such a wonderful talk. I am glad you shared something that was so important in Jacob's life and something that can be helpful to so many people. I am proud of you and I am proud of my brother. I can see him smiling down from heaven.
Thank you so much for sharing this! Being at the memorial service, and then reading your talk, has motivated me to live with more faith and conviction and to implement the balancing wheel in my life! I am grateful to have known Jake, even just for a short time, and to reconnect with you! I look forward to spending time together in Utah. Lots of love to you, my friend!
Your talk was wonderful! You are amazing my friend. Thanks for sharing it with us. I loved to hear more about Jacob from all of you who knew him the best. What a blessing is to know you all. You, your kids and family will always be in our prayers,
Thank you so much Jord! I was amazed when I saw you spoke and so sad I missed it. So I feel very grateful to read it now and so grateful for both of your examples. I hope you two can keep having executive family councils and i really believe Jake will continue to support and encourage you in your progression, even now in your deep grief. Jake must be so proud of his dear sweet wife!
Thank you so much Jord! I was amazed when I saw you spoke and so sad I missed it. So I feel very grateful to read it now and so grateful for both of your examples. I hope you two can keep having executive family councils and i really believe Jake will continue to support and encourage you in your progression, even now in your deep grief. Jake must be so proud of his dear sweet wife!
Beautiful Jordan. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to keep checking your blog, I want to know how you are doing on this journey that neither f us want to be on. Hugs and prayers.
You have such grace and strength. I wished I could have hugged you longer or spent more time with you to convey just how incredible you are, but another time. We are continually praying for you and your sweet children.
What an inspiring tribute to your husband. I love this balancing wheel and I very much need to use it in my life. It's been such a mind boggle to me how you and your family can suffer so much heart ache, and yet have so much strength and composure. I've never seen the likes of anyone as brave as you and Jake have been over this most recent chapter in your story. There's no doubt that your composure and will to carry on in faith will be the mold and foundation in which your children will live their lives. Your children are so blessed to have such a strong mother at a time like this. Thank you for sharing yours and Jake's life with us.
What a wonderful talk. Thanks for sharing! I really like the balancing wheel idea. That's such a cool story about how that came to be an important thing in Jakes life. I really wish I could have attended either the funeral or memorial service and give you a big ole bear hug, but please know that I've been thinking about you a lot and I am sending my love from Seattle :)
Love you Jord. Loved reading your words and seeing you this week.
Jordan, I loved your message and beautiful memorial to Jacob. Sorry I missed the service. Was called to a family baseball game at the same time as the service. Jake understood, I'm sure. He was and is a great man who is missed dearly. Your strength continues to inspire me! Love, Sis. Reed
I love your story. It's inspiring and I hope to incorporate these in my own life.
Jordan, the service was so beautiful. Your family is a wonder. As so many have said your strength and courage have been an inspiration to many. You all did your very best. I received answer to my prayers from listening at the service and reading your beautiful inspiring talk you had the strength to deliver. Be gentle with yourself. Let your loved ones and the Holy Ghost comfort you. Love you so much. Connie
Jake and you, dear Jord, have taught us how to live like the Savior. Thousands have been influenced by you both to be more like Jesus. Not only have you both tried to be like Jesus, but you have done it. I know Heavenly Father loves you, that He weeps with you, and that He will sustain you. He has done so already and will continue to do so. We love you so much. Thank you for your example, your courage, your spiritual strength, and your innate goodness. You teach us so much. We love you so much. We are so thankful for you.
vfr
Thank you so much for posting your talk. I wanted to be at the funeral so badly, but I couldn't get there. I had no idea that your husband served his mission in Madrid, Spain; I served there as well! I don't think I ever met your husband in person, but I can't help love him. As I have read your blog for the past couple years, it is evident that he is one of Heavenly Father's choice sons. We love you and continue to pray for you and your family.
Your words have influenced so many of us to try to be better, no matter our age or circumstances. We can improve and increase. Thanks for sharing your love for Jake and for the gospel of Jesus Christ. You are an example of one of the believers and your faith shines through. I love you dear daughter.
What a beautiful talk! Thank you for sharing that scripture in Luke and explaining how Jake put it into practice in his daily life. I can't wait to implement the wheel in my own life.
Post a Comment