Tuesday, June 28

Phoenix, Arizona

I wish there were words to express my heart at the thought of leaving our Phoenix home.

I feel a hole so deep, a pain renewed, a wound uncovered.

I am heartbroken.

Because leaving Arizona feels like Jake is dying all over again.  It is the death of the life we made together. It is the death of the home we created, lived in and loved. It is the end of the life we shared on earth.

I have complete assurance that this move is right for our family. I have full trust that we will land on our feet and be ok. If we weren't moving to be near our parents I would not do it. But just because something is right, does not mean that it is easy.

We bought this, our first home together. I well remember signing the papers and Jake sweating bullets at taking on such a big responsibility, as he was the sole breadwinner for our family. He had only been working for a year and we'd been apartment dwellers until that point. We had our little Lauren and I was due with Ellie in December. We actually moved into our home on my birthday and I remember Jake telling me that he was giving me the biggest birthday present I would ever get.

And last week I went in, alone, and signed the papers to sell our home. To add insult to injury the paperwork stated "Jordan R., an unmarried woman, is selling the home located at (address) to ...... a married couple." Oh the heartbreak at seeing those words on paper.

I can see why conventional wisdom says to not make a drastic change for a year after your loved one has died. After just going through the very hard and traumatic experience of their death, your heart can hardly stand any other big changes. Again, I can see God's wisdom in setting this up well before we knew Jake was going to die. I am overwhelmingly grateful that Jake was part of, rather driving, this moving decision process. 

But Phoenix.

It has my heart.

I love completely and intensely and that intensity carries over to my grief at the thought of leaving.

I will maintain the friendships we formed here. I really do want everyone we know to come and visit us in Provo. We will come back often and visit. But the reality of proximity, of being a part of the action, of daily living with people we have come to love cannot be replaced.

We love this desert place. The blistering heat, the plethora of pools, the springlike winters, the succulent beauty, the flaming sunsets, the numberless miles of concrete and strip malls, the royal palm trees, the limitless shopping and dining opportunities, the mecca called Last Chance......I could go on and on.

But mainly it is the beauty of the people, the intense love of the Arizonans that will forever sustain, comfort and warm my heart.

I can see how Heavenly Father prepared a safety net to catch us as we fell off of the tightrope walk called cancer. For years, that net was being weaved with each new relationship, each new experience, each party, phone call, interaction with people all around us. At work, at church, at school, in the neighborhood, at community classes, in volunteering, at the library. He was preparing us to be surrounded, sustained and maintained by the combined love of so many people.

It is overwhelming to see now how intricately He had things prepared to soften the blows that came.

I will be forever grateful for the love and service that was so freely given to us the whole time we lived here, but intensified throughout the course of Jake's illness, decline and death.

That loved saved us. Over and over, again and again that love caught us as we fell. The net called Arizona held fast and sure, strong and true.

And as the kids and I turn towards this next chapter in our lives, I will forever be grateful for this desert state and its beloved people.

For Arizona.

Our home.

11 comments:

Andy said...

Love ya sis. This is hard. And you are strong.

Unknown said...

Love you all, Jordan, and pray for your happiness!

Unknown said...

oh Jord! Signing those papers must have been awful! Just know that a piece of every single one of our Arizona hearts that you touched will go with you....including Jake's.

Whitney said...

You're writing is so beautiful, Jord. Love you. Love you, love you, love you. Xoxox

Chelsie Campbell said...

Oh boy. All the tears over here. Hard stuff stinks. So bad. Your brother is right though. You are SO very strong. You can do this. My heart is breaking all over again at the thought of you leaving Arizona just like it did when we left. I love what you said about the Lord building a safety net for you there. That is such a beautiful thought and so true. You were one of the largest parts of mine in Arizona. I love you so much. You continue to amaze me! Carry on friend. You can do this. I love you.

Brittany said...

Moving away would be heartbreaking even under normal circumstances. But it must be a million times worse to leave the home that you and Jake shared. I am so sorry. Thank you so much Jordon for being my friend since we moved here. You will be missed greatly. Provo is lucky to have you and your awesome kids.

Lee said...

I feel your pain. It's so hard and sad leaving a place and people you love so much. I hope it doesn't take long for you to make some new wonderful friends but also keep close to your AZ friends. Can't wait to see more of you guys now.

Anonymous said...

I remember visiting you and Jake in your home when I can to AZ for the weekend. It was probably 2008. I will never forget the love that emanated there, and I know that love continues on. I hope I can see you in Utah next month. Love you ��

Emily said...

Oh man. You're a brilliant writer. I am so grateful for the net that Arizona became for you and it makes me very happy that you love Phoenix so. I love it too and I love some of those same people who rose to the occasion to bless you and Jake. I'm so sorry this is hard.

Vonnie said...

Beautiful post, Jord. I am particularly struck by three of your observations. First, just because something is right doesn't mean it is easy. Particularly is this true with some of the hard knocks life delivers and the results of them. I know how you love Phoenix, Arizona and all your experiences there. Second, the beauty of the people you know and love in Phoenix. Rarely, if ever, have I seen the love shown and the kindness demonstrated by so many of your wonderful friends. They really have been angels. Third, the real estate papers which say Jordan R, an unmarried woman, are false. You are not unmarried. You are sealed to dear Jake, and he is yours forever. The world doesn't understand this, but we are so grateful for that sealing power, and for you and Jake and the kids being under its real power.

vfr

Momma said...

Jordan, I just read your beautiful heartbreaking post. I can hear your broken heart. Arizona is a lovely magic place. John's parents lived in Scottsdale the first time I met them, many years ago. There was the beautiful smell of orange orchards in bloom when we drove into the valley. What I've learned in the past 8 months is no matter where you are, how lovely it was, my John is not there. He isn't at the birthday celebrations or the parade or the fireworks or in the quiet of the morning. I feel his heart close to mine some times, and my sure knowledge that i will see him again gives me some comfort and peace. And our boys, who are really men, remind me everyday that we made a lovely family together. You are wiser than I am, with more solid perspectives. Please be gentle with yourself, be as kind and loving as Jake is with you and you are to him. I believe one day you will tutor others, as you are already doing now, how to manage this trial in their lives and you are being prepared to give them hope and courage and love that they will so desperately need. It seems like i need a new bigger supply of courage every single day. Please realize this is a really big deal, there is no way around it, it effects every single part of your spirit, every cell of your body, your mind and Heavenly Father knows exactly what we are going through. Hold tight to His hand and remember how you are loved. Forever, Connie